Todays find du jour : Vintage Linens....
A very cute apple red with coloured dots, a funny tea towel with weird little figures that can only be described as Chinese Babushkas, plus a cream linen with lovely smudgy black dots all over it..... but my absolute favourite is this vintage tea towel.....
It's old cream linen, with the above printed in the top corner, with the "Rules of The Inn" spelled out for those who may need reminding.....
The Rules are as follows:
1. The Inn shall open and close promptly at the diverse times determined by the Proprietor.
2. Neither Dram nor Draught shall be served, nor the fire poked, other than by the Proprietor or his credited servants.
3. Barmaids, while in the employ of the Proprietor, are held to be under his protection. Patrons may not indulge in Familiarity, Goosing, Thumbing, Smoothing or Stroking, except by leave.
4. Only Coins of The Realm may be tendered for the purchase of liquor. Cheques or Notes of Hand will not be accepted from those below the rank of Royal Duke.
5. No Lady shall enter the parlour less she has been known by the Proprietor.
6. The Blue Ruin is not served before ten o'clock.
7. Food may not be brought into the Inn unless shared with the Proprietor.
8. The following penalties may be invoked for swearing: an Oath 1d; a Curse 3d; a Blasphemy 6d; it being for none but the Proprietor to Categorize.
9. Acts of Balancing the Glasses of the House are Expressly Forbidden, after last time.
10. There may be no dicing, whether the Die be Fair or Loaded.
11. Disputes at cards shall be submitted to the judgement of the Proprietor, who shall earn for his adjudication the Pot of The Moment.
12. None but the tobacco sold by the House shall be smoked.
13. No spiritous liquors shall be served for consumption by dogs, except before Fights.
14. Seamen and Travellers are invited to be Moderate in the telling of Tall Stories, lest the Credulity of the Company be strained, and the Queen's Peace threatened.
Hilarious. I'm going to frame this one and take it into the bar where I work.....it's quite scary how relevant some of this is! And I think it's brilliant that the customers are unable to 'Goose' or 'Thumb' me unless the "Proprietor" gives her leave!!!!
Sorry about the random posting.... things are a little random around here too...but there'll be lots of thrifty goodness tomorrow....promise!